Important Information – COVID-19
This virus is in most countries in the world and is caught from people who already have the virus. This is why we must be very careful and do all we can to stop the virus spreading to protect ourselves and our families.
- Recently arrived in Australia from overseas.
- Been close to someone who has been told they have this virus.
- Have a fever, cough, sore throat, body ache, trouble breathing, very tired.
IF YES TO THESE QUESTIONS:
Phone the telephone interpreting service (TIS) on 131 450 and tell them the language you speak. Stay on the phone and when the interpreter talks to you tell them you need to call the Public Health Line on 1800 671 738 and the person here will tell you what to do next. You might have to have a special test for the virus OR you may be told you have to stay inside your house for 2 weeks.
If you are told to self-quarantine this means you stay inside your home and away from other people.
- You cannot go to work, or school or to the shops for food – ask someone you know by phone to get food and medicine you need and leave at your door to collect.
- Do not let visitors into your home for these 2 weeks.
- Do not cook or care for other family members during this time.
- For now, if you have friends or family members arriving in Australia, they will have to stay inside their house for 2 weeks. Do not go inside their home, but you can deliver food to their door and talk to them on the phone until the 2 weeks’ time has finished.
Whether you have the virus or not, it is very important for you to do these things:
- Wash your hands a lot with soap and water especially before and after you touch food and go to the toilet. Do not share the same food bowl with other family members.
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or into a tissue. If you use a tissue, please throw the tissue away and wash your hands.
- Clean your kitchen benches and the bathroom often with hot soapy water.
- If your doctor gives you a mask, make sure you wear it.
You are not alone; we want to help you. If you are worried or scared about anything, please phone us and we will see your number and call you back with an interpreter.
- Launceston General Hospital Contacts: Susan 0409 537 922 and Janelle 0488 645 336
- Royal Hobart Hospital: Jenny or Grace 0448 902 042
- Migrant Resource Centre: Non-Health related support: 6332 2211
- Prepared by Susan Neighbour, Refugee Health Social Worker, LGH March 18,2020